Thursday 17 February 2011

Just Visiting...

Hello. Long time no blog. Sorry about that.

So what have I been doing over the past week that’s been so interesting that I haven’t been able to blog? Well, not that much. I’ve been playing a bit of football, watching some cricket and generally lounging about. Pretty much what I do back home, only now I’m doing it in South Africa.

What you may or may not know, however, is that I’m about to be joined on my excursion. Just like a reality TV game show when they add a plot twist, the proverbial Ant and Dec have thrown me a curveball. Arriving in Hout Bay this morning are… my mum, dad and sister.

After deciding that they could do with a holiday, and that they haven’t seen me for a while, they unbeknownst to me booked flights out here for a 10 day stay. And they arrive in about 10 minutes.

All in all, I have sorted cheated at this gap year lark. When normal gappie travellers slum it in backpackers living off not much, in Sydney I stayed (for free) at a pretty swanky house, and in Tasmania I stayed with Colette and Rachel (also rent free). Ditto here in South Africa. When I did wasn’t really a backpack, so I couldn’t actually call myself a backpacker. And now the backpackers golden rule is about to be broken – a visit from your mum and dad.

However, I’m pretty happy not being a typical backpacker. I’ve had just a good time without it; in many ways a better time. So my visit from the family pretty much sums up the fact that I’m not really a backpacker at all, just someone who’s been on an elongated holiday for the past two months.

So mum, dad and sis stay for 10 days, in which time they’ll do plenty of relaxing by the pool, on the beach, and general tourist stuff. So if I don’t blog again, that’s probably what I’m doing. Oh, and tomorrow we’re all going to see U2 play at The Cape Town World Cup stadium. I might have a blog about that.

In the name, of love… Will

No comments:

Post a Comment