Saturday 5 February 2011

Hopping on and off

Yesterday, after a few days messing around in Hout Bay, I decided to go and see what was going on in Cape Town. There is a hop-on hop-off bus that does a big lap of the peninsula which has a bus stop only just down the road, so I wandered down there at about 12.30, with the intention of hopping-off in Cape Town, doing a big of wandering about and shopping (at my own leisure), before hopping-back-on a few hours later in the afternoon.

The bus came. I hopped on.

If you saw that episode of the Apprentice where they had big red double-decker tourist buses that toured around London (you know, the one where Baggs the Brand started a fight with Chris Bates. And where Stella did a sing-a-long on her bus. And where Liz got fired. Still haven't got over that awful decision. Disgrace), you'll have an idea of the bus that was used. However, instead of having Jamie standing at the front of the bus telling me how the Thames is the second biggest river in London, I was given some red earphones, which plugged into the side of the bus. This had a running commentary of our journey, with important landmarks to look out for, and general interesting information for me to know. And it was really rather good.

It was interesting to see for myself what Mr Lesser had taught us about South Africa in History (and too hear about all of the other stuff that he didn't / I slept through) about apartheid and such, and just the history of Cape Town in general. It's a really fascinating place, and after I'd hopped off (and later hopped back on again) at the Waterfront, I listened attentively to my tour guide for the rest of the journey (apart from the bit where we went round some botanical gardens, I had a nap during that bit).

After getting back, there was a 'games night' fundraiser at Georgia's old school, so we went along. Sadly I didn't win the raffle, but it was a good night and it seemed to raise a lot of money for the school. After all that excitement, I was just about awake enough to stay up and see England win the rugby in Cardiff. Great stuff.

Until next time, Will

1 comment: