Thursday 30 December 2010

Incepting The Plane To Hong Kong

Halfway (ish) there. Just got through an 11 hour flight, and am typing this from Hong Kong airport! I wanted to blog from Heathrow, but WiFi there costs, whereas it's all free here. (I think).

So my flight. Not too bad.

It helps when there are nice people that you have to sit next to. Where you sit / who you sit next to is always a bit of a lottery, so it was great to sit next to someone who recognised my English cricket shirt (I'm representing) and started to chat about the Ashes. He was very impressed that I was going. He was himself flying from Hong Kong to Perth, where he's going surfing. Nice bloke. I never caught his name.

I just about managed to pass the time without any incident. I read my book (Michael McIntyre's "Life and Laughing" - recommended), played Football Manager on my laptop and watched a few films. Since doing a film based podcast with Jeremy (which incidentally we need to record a new episode of at some point) I've gone to see some films when they were new out in the cinema, which I didn't use to. While that was fun, it meant I'd seen pretty much all of the selection that Cathay Airways had to offer.

Except one.

For one reason of another, I hadn't got around to seeing Inception. I was scared of it - I'd heard how difficult, complex and multi-layered it was and I didn't think I would get it or enjoy it. And before it started, I literally had no idea what it was about. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but seriously, if you haven't watched it, watch it. It is a brilliant film. After the ending (which is superb), I really wanted someone to talk about it with. Luckily for me, my surfer friend had seen it before, so we had a little chat about it.

Sleep and other diversions got me through the rest of the 9 hours, and I've now arrived in Hong Kong. I didn't really know what to expect. Ignorantly I thought Facebook and Google would be blocked (because this is China) but it isn't. Or maybe it's just me. Sadly while I've got through 11 hours, I now have a 7 hour wait in transit in Hong Kong, and then another 12 hours on to Sydney. So now I need to pass some time in an airport departures lounge. I've already had a lovely bag of salt and vinegar crisps (smuggled in from Heathrow) and I've now got my eyes on a McFlurry. Keep your eyes out for a picture diary of HK Airport, as boredom dictates that more blogs are very likely.

TTFN for now! Will x

1 comment:

  1. Here we go - my second attempt to leave a comment - great to hear from you this morning, thanks for the alsrm call!! Enjoy what you have left of HK, try to get some sleep and dont forget the cure for jet lag -Pinch your ear! ((c) Sue Atkins) Speak soon !!xx

    ReplyDelete