Thursday 27 January 2011

Oh Adelaide! Is Wonderful!

Before I talk about the cricket (and don’t worry non-cricket fans, this will be the last cricket blog I do), I’ll talk about why I ended up going to watch cricket in Australia on Australia Day.

Four years ago, England were playing against Australia. They’d just lost the Ashes 5-0, and had been similarly heavily beaten in the first few ODIs. Surprising, seeing as England were fielding such greats as Sajid Mahmood, Mal Loye and Paul Nixon. Australia had won the first few ODIs convincingly, and they then played against England on Australia Day. The Australia Day game is a massive thing out here; it’s a celebration of all things Aussie, and a chance for everyone to stick on their giant flags and as much green and gold face paint as possible. On Aussie Day 2007, England were, for want of a better word, absolutely merked. It wasn’t even a contest. After being bowled out for not many, Australia then chased it down to record a win of mind-blowing ease. While I didn’t watch the game (I was still in bed due to time difference), I did see the post-match interviews, where a number of Aussies claimed that England were a disgrace for playing so poorly on Australia Day, and they weren’t fit to even line up against their boys. This rankled with me a touch. While England amazingly recovered to win the series, the chip on my shoulder from that day has stayed with me ever since. So when England were due to play Australia on Australia Day this year, I knew that I needed to go. And I knew that only an England win could erase the pain of four years ago.

So I went to the Adelaide Oval yesterday. And didn’t England go and blooming smash the Aussies!

As a Chelsea fan, I take great delight in the misfortunes of rival clubs. One of my favourite things in football is when they show the crowd after an Arsenal, Man United, or Liverpool defeat (for one team this happens more than the others) and it shows small children in Arsenal, Man United or Liverpool shirts crying. I revel in their pain. You could say that I hate those clubs. However, as a cricket fan, I don’t hate the Aussies – in fact I quite like them. Yes, I dislike a few of their players, but I don’t actively laugh in the faces of crying Australian children. But yesterday, on the day where all Australians celebrate being Australian, I did enjoy seeing England crash the party. Fireworks, that were meant to celebrate how brilliant Aussies are were actually celebrating Chris Tremlett bowling the final over.

My day at the cricket was unusual. Normally, I spend much of the day flicking through Twitter on my phone and adding valuable insights / pointless banalities live from the ground to my 150 odd followers. But I’ve used up all of my data this month, so I couldn’t. As I often go to cricket on my own (sad face) using Twitter to see what others are saying and to chat about the cricket is a good way of making me feel like I have some friends. But not today. I couldn’t even go on Facebook and reassure myself about my popularity by looking at my statuses people have commented on. So I had to talk to actual people. As it was Australia day, the English were few and far between. Any English that were there weren’t openly “out”, as they would massively stand out amongst the massive displays of Aussie patriotism. However, I was there to support England, so I had my England shirt on, and I was the only person in my area to belt out “God save the Queen” when it was played before the game. After signing it (and listening to the Aussies sing “Advance Australia Fair”), a few Englanders came over to me. Safety in numbers I think. So we had a nice time watching England dominate, and by the end, with loads of Aussies streaming out, we were the only people there (slight exaggeration).

So my phone worries weren’t too bad. Especially when compared to my other thing I was lacking – money. In other, older posts, I’ve spoken about how I have to go and queue up in a bank to get some money out, as my card doesn’t work in ATMs (and certain shops – Hungry Jack’s being a prime example). I’ve also spoken about the ridiculous times that Australian banks operate, and opening at 10.30 and closing at 4 is quite frankly stupid. After going to the beach the other day (and knowing that after buying fish & chips and a tram ticket I only had $1.75 left in cash) I went straight to the local Commonwealth Bank at about 4.15, making sure I had plenty of time before the (I thought) 5.00 close. I arrived to find a locked door. And Australia Day being a bank holiday, they were closed again the next day. So I had $1.75 to buy me food and drink (as well as any bus tickets or general expense) for the next day. Another thing about Australia Day – every shop is closed. Every one (even McDonalds). So even if my $1.75 was able to buy me anything, I couldn’t go into a shop to spend it. So basically, the day of the 26th of January 2011 was spent as a fast by me. There were times when it was hard. At the cricket they had all sorts of food stalls, and smelling chips, burgers, and even curries (that was the hardest stall to walk past) certainly got me salivating. But because it was so hot, I didn’t actually feel too bad. Water-wise, I have a giant 2 litre bottle which I’ve been filling up from taps for free, so that wasn’t an issue. Somehow, I managed to walk there and back, as well as spending the day at the cricket, without eating a thing. I did well. And I’ve now had some cornflakes this morning, so I made it! (Mum, if you’re worried by that last paragraph, I’ve just been to the bank, so now I have money to buy as many burgers as I like)

I’m writing this blog in the Adelaide Travellers Inn; about 10 minutes before I have to check out. It’s been good in Adelaide. I’ve really liked how it’s both a big city with loads of stuff going on, and quite small and accessible. You can literally walk anywhere. Where I’ve been staying is right in the south east of the city, and it’s only a 25/30 minute walk right over to the other side. There are parks everywhere – which is really nice as well. Overall, I’ve had a great time in Adelaide, and will be sorry to leave it. Next stop Perth!

(And as the group of England fans were singing last night – “Oh Adelaide! Is wonderful! Oh Adelaide is wonderful! We won the test, the 20 and the one day! Oh Adelaide is wonderful!)

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment