Friday 28 January 2011

My Aussie Highlights

I'm about to leave Australia. I've really enjoyed it - it's a great country, with great people. Each place I've been to has been almost totally different from the place before, which has made this leg of my trip incredibly diverse, interesting and fun. I've been lucky enough to do the things that I've wanted to for the last month, and I've been very lucky that Australia has offered these things to me. While it may seem quite a corny thing to say, when I look back at my month in Oz, I honestly wouldn't change any of it, as it's been one of the best months of my life. I don't know if I've changed as a person, but I've probably taken a lot out of this in terms of trying new things on my own, and lots of great stories (and showing off) that I'll be able to do. So in the spirit of showing off my experiences (isn't what this blog's all about?), here's my Top 5 Australian moments.


5. Beating the Aussies on Australia Day

This was mainly a good day because England beat Australia in the cricket, but it was genuinely a great thing to be in Australia on Australia Day. To be part of the real celebration of everything Australian was a great experience, and it's a shame that England isn't like that on St George's Day. But anyway, it was good fun.


4. My first day with the Barmy Army

I've been a cricket fan for yonks, but Day 2 of the Sydney test was my first time I've been sitting in with the Barmy Army, and it was brilliant. England's good performance (as well as my fashion decision about the pink neckerchief) meant that this was a good day. And I got read out on the BBC.


3. Going to Stanley with Colette and Rachel

I had a great time with Colette and Rachel in Tas, and this trip was probably my favourite bit. It was so enjoyable both because of the cool things we did, and because I was lucky enough to spend it with some great people. I had a lovely time in Stanley (as I did for the rest of my time in Tassie) but the trip to Stanley was my favourite. Honourable mentions to go my first Chicken Parmi (which was gorge), but the crowning moment has to be me winning at both Scrabble and Monopoly.


2. My second road trip around Tas

As a road trip, it didn't really work because the bus broke down. As a tour, it didn't really work because we didn't do much. But as an experience, it was great. Much of life is down to the people you meet, and the other people on the tour were pretty cool. My favourite bit was going for a walk along the beach late at night with everyone else in bed looking for pengiuns. And it indirectly led to me meeting three England cricketers in a bar, so it was good.


1. The day England won the Ashes

Easily my favourite day in Australia; maybe even my favourite day full stop. It started with a brilliant atmosphere in the SCG watching England win the Ashes in the morning, and continued to a brilliant atmosphere in The Retro celebrating England winning the Ashes in the evening. It was just pretty awesome, on pretty much every level.



Thanks Australia. I'm going to miss you. But don't worry, I'll be back before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment