Wednesday 2 March 2011

What Have I Been Up To?

I started this blog because I wanted to keep everyone back home up to date with what I've been doing out around the world. However, since getting to South Africa I've been really bad at doing that. Sorry. Basically, over the last couple of weeks I've been doing some cricket writing for MWP - a journalist agency. The Cricket World Cup's been on, as has the Standard Bank Pro20 (South African cricket tournament), so most days I've been writing for them. And when I haven't been writing for them, I've been writing and podcasting for my own site. I've actually been fairly busy recently, so haven't had much "writing time". And all of my "writing time" has been filled up by writing about cricket. So here's a brief thing about the last week and a bit.


Thursday 17th

Mum, Dad and Molly arrived in South Africa. They spent the day sitting by the pool, and I showed them around the house.


Friday 18th

Walked into Hout Bay to show them around. We then went into Cape Town to watch U2 with Tom, Linda and loads of other Hout Bay-ites.


Saturday 19th

Went to the Hout Bay market in the morning. Went to the Lookout Point to watch the Chelsea FA Cup game. Got back miserable (Chelsea lost). Had a Skype with people back home who were on the uni road trip (Birmingham leg).


Sunday 20th

Everyone went off for a braai at someone's house, but I stayed at home to write up a Standard Bank Pro20 game (Dolphins v Lions, if you're interested. And if you're still interested, I'm now a Dolphins fan). After they got back we went to Chapman's Peak (clifftop spot with great views) to watch the sunset. Beautiful.


Monday 21st

Went into Cape Town to show the fam the Waterfront. Had lunch. Played football in the evening. We lost.


Tuesday 22nd

We climbed up Table Mountain. I wrote a blog about that. Look down there somewhere, it's all in there.


Wednesday 23rd

Went to Robben Island. I wrote a blog about that as well.


Thursday 24th

Day off. The fam went to the beach, I stayed in to watch South Africa v West Indies. Played football in the evening in the league versus a team called "Black Stars" (a team from the township). They destroyed us 14-3. We weren't that bad, but couldn't get the ball off them, and every time they got the ball they scored. But oddly we played quite well. I hit the bar with a left foot volley. Gutting.


Friday 25th

Went on a township tour. I should have written about it, but I didn't. It was great - awe inspiring. Really eye opening to see first hand how people live so differently, and how things that we take for granted are things they would never dream about. Humbling. In the evening, mum and dad went out to a party. I stayed in to write about the Pro20 semi (Dolphins v Warriors; Dolphins lost. Boo.) and then watched the Top 50 Hits of the 80s on VH1 with Molly. "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds won. Bad call.


Saturday 26th

Went to the market in the morning for a steak sandwich and a few drinks. Went out for lunch in Constantia. Then a wine tasting. I drove home (my first drive in an automatic car). Rugby in the evening, England and Stormers won. Great stuff.


Sunday 27th

Mum, dad and Molly went home. We went to the airport to see them off.


Monday 28th

I spent all day trying to record a podcast. Played football in the evening. It was very windy. We lost. I scored a nice goal though, Steve Gerrard esque into the bottom corner.

Tuesday 1st

Went to Georgia's charity swimathon to help count laps of the pool. Woke up late so missed the start. Ended up not being allowed to count laps. Went in the afternoon with Georgia and some of her friends to a water park. Spent all afternoon chasing 7 year olds down water slides. Got motion sickness because I went too often. Got bruises all down my chest from throwing myself tummy down onto slides. Worth it though. Watched Chelsea v Man U at home with Tom. Chelsea won. Gave some abuse to Arsenal fans on Facebook and to Man U fans on Twitter. Fun day.


Wednesday 2nd

England played Ireland at the World Cup. Ireland won. I used my Irish half and claimed I was supporting them all along.


So there we have it, that's what I've been doing. I will try and blog more regularly, but to be honest, for the next while it may be things like "I sat and watched cricket all day on TV and wrote it out in fancy formula so it looks nice on a website". So if that's your thing, you've got a lot to look forward to!

Until next time,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment